A talk by Jean Maynard entitled "Sheepfolds for Lost Sheep - Catholic Missions in Nineteenth Century Inner London".
Jean is the author of "The Saint of Hoxton", about the former parish priest of St Monica's, Fr Michael Kelly (d.1914) and the Beginnings of St Monica's Parish. She is also the author of "Saint Monica's Church Hoxton Square: A History" (2018) which will be on sale after the talk.
The talk will be followed by tea at about 3.30pm and a tour of St Monica's Church at about 4pm.
Attendees will be asked for a donation of £5 which will cover the cost of the talk, tea and the tour, payable on the door in cash please.
St Monica's was completed in 1866 and is a beautiful church with a colourful history. The gilded wooden altar and Lady Chapel were blessed by Cardinal Manning. Recent restoration work uncovered original decoration by E.W. Pugin (son of Augustus Welby Pugin) who designed the Church and the Priory of St Monica's. St Monica's Church is under the care of the Augustinians.